When we moved in, the paint on two sides of the house was in especially bad shape. The side nearest the road had be painted before we closed, for the bank to approve the mortgage. A contractor did that.
We decided we'd handle the rest.
So far, 19 months later, we've painted the back additions ... and, ... I have restored one kitchen storm window. It only took me a year. At that rate, well, let's just say I'll be dead before they're all done. But, at least this one was in by far the worst shape.
In any case, since I didn't have a blog at that point, I don't have a good "before" photo. Here's the back of the house on our second viewing on February 27, 2011, nearly two years ago to the day, today.
You can see the amazingly beautiful rolled steel roof we had to remove and replace, too. It wasn't the original roof. The original roof (helpfully still underneath the steel roof) was cedar shingle. And beneath that, nothing. Alas, both had to go, and now there is a regular old composite asphalt roof on the house. I wish we had had another decent option, but we didn't. In any case, here you see the back of the house, original kitchen window and storm on the lower right, to the left of the kitchen addition.
So I took it down, took the glass out, marking each piece, cleared the old glazing putty and paint, refastened the muntins, learning about simple window construction in the process. Then I chiseled the paint away from the rest of the window, getting the surfaces as smooth as possible, and finally, filled the gaps with a regular wood filler in some places and Minwax two-part wood filler in others.** [See note below about wood fillers and epoxy.]
This whole process took maybe a month, and at that stage, right before winter settled in for good, I reglazed the window and, finally, took some photos.
Here's a close-up:
And, one more view of a tenon. I show all these because I haven't seen and can't find any detailed descriptions or photos of the construction of old wooden storm windows, anywhere.
And, finally, before:
And -- after:
By the way, I found another blog with very detailed descriptions of the carpentry required to make a storm window that is pretty much exactly like mine here, at the Bytown House blog by a blogger in Shaker Heights, Cleveland -- near where I grew up.
**March 11, 2013 Update: Over the winter, I have done some more research on wood fillers and wood epoxies. I am seeing some reviews that the Minwax two-part wood filler is not a true epoxy and doesn't hold up well over time in exterior uses with northern winters. Abatron seems to be the most used epoxy. A good explanation is on the Minnesota Window Restoration blog here