Thursday, April 4, 2013

Wood Window Screens: Close-ups of Alternate Model #2

My How to Make Wood Window Screens Series has gotten more readers and google-searches than anything I've written, aside from the porch column base series. It seems there are lots of people like me who have old houses and are curious about wooden screens, and I know from experience there is virtually nothing on the web on the topic, so I am going to post close-up photos of the "alternate models," each of which is slightly different from the model I have used in building my own screens. I originally showed some basic photos of three alternate models here.

This is a close-up series of model #2.

So, to start, photos of the entire front, here:


And back, here:


The general construction of this frame is slightly simpler than the one I'm making, because it does not have mitered corners or a rabbeted inset where the screen is installed. Instead, it is made with what is called a butt joint secured with dowel rods. So, there are no complicated mitre angles to cut, just straight cuts. 

Here is a close-up that makes the line of the butt joint clear:


And, from a slightly different angle, making clear how the joint is secured with side-by-side dowel rods: 


Here it is again, just from another angle:



And, another shot of the full screen, from a side angle. You can see the "projection" that I've nicknamed the Bug Stop is proportionately larger than on our original model. But the frame itself is quite thin. The relative sizes of these things are more-or-less immaterial. You make things the size that works for you, or will fit your windows.


So then, another close-up of the front of the screen.


And now two close-ups of the corner construction, from the front: 



Here you can see the small square of trim projecting from the front, that covers the edge of the screening. This is apparently a classic construction for screens. I've seen it in a couple of places on the web, with instructions for making screen doors. One example is here.

I believe this kind of trim is actually called screen molding. It seems to come in different profiles, though. This one is closer to shoe molding. Here it is mitre cut, and the screening is most likely tacked or stapled underneath and then the trim is nailed in place on top of the edge of the screen. The frame is not rabbeted underneath, and so again, this is a somewhat simpler construction method than the model I'm using (wish I'd investigated these other screens a bit more closely myself before I embarked on my project!!).

Finally, once again, there is no evidence of fasteners on the screen itself, to keep it in the window. So I would imagine it was fastened in with turnbuttons, which are attached to the exterior window casing. However, as I've discussed in various other places in this series, you can also use other fasteners marketed by House of Antique Hardware, here. This isn't a shill for the company, just a nod to the fact that if you google screen fasteners, most of what you will get is hardware for aluminum screens--there don't seem to be a lot of places one can get fasteners for wooden screens, so just sharing what I've found. (A complete post on fasteners can be found here.)

And that's it for this model.



____________________________________________
For the entire series on making wooden window screens, click on the category "How to Make Wood Window Screens Series", in the Topics list along the right-hand side of the home page. There is also now an index tab at the top of the home page, listing all the posts in sequential order, with a link to each one.


1 comment:

  1. Hey there Sherry! Thank you for sharing your techniques in creating a window screens its really helpful. Now I don’t need to hire a carpenter to fix it for me.

    I am glad to stop by your site and know more about home improvement tips. Keep it up! This is a good read. You have such an interesting and informative page. I will be looking forward to visit your page again and for your other posts as well.



    Thank you!
    Nancy
    Window Planet - Fiberglass Doors Toronto

    ReplyDelete