I haven't written much in the past few weeks because we've been on a tear trying to get a few outdoor projects done before it gets too cold to paint. I was working so hard I didn't even take any photographs of our attempt to patch a rotten fascia under the gutter on the studio addition, and then put up a run of cedar shingle siding between the fascia and window frame. That was one long couple of days and I have no idea if the patch will hold.
But, off and on, I've been working on the porch column bases. I say I. We've actually been working on this one together. And we've been forced to work somewhat backwards, because of the rainy, cold October we're having. In any case, it's been so long since I started this project, let me remind you where we've been.
Here I described the very first day of work, which resulted in one column with an incorrectly replaced square base, like so:
**March 11, 2013 Update: Over the winter, I have done some more research on wood fillers and wood epoxies. I am seeing some reviews that the Minwax two-part wood filler is not a true epoxy and doesn't hold up well over time in exterior uses with northern winters. Abatron seems to be the most used epoxy. A good explanation is on the Minnesota Window Restoration blog here.