At the same time, we'd just spent our savings to buy the house, put on a new roof, and put steel structural supports in the basement, and we just didn't have the money yet for the bath. We knew we'd have to pay a contractor. This room was never going to be a DIY room for us. We have no ability to take up floors and sister joists and lay tile, plumbing and electrical, etc., etc., etc.
So, we needed time to save, and I figured that I could do the design. It would save some money, but more importantly, I had no idea how we were going to solve the major issues, and I figured I'd have to sort that out slowly, over time, learning and feeling the house around me--something no designer could do. Read post "Problem Bathroom: Bathroom Project 4" here to catch up on the issues: awkward shower, slanted ceiling, slanted floor, small footprint, and--I forgot to add--the room is flanked on either side by staircases, so there is no room to expand. So there was all this churning in our heads from Day One.
But there was a point, where we started to put pen to paper. The first sketch was a crude drawing of the current room with major elements and a few measurements. Here you can see the tub and tile shower in the upper left hand (NE) corner, toilet in the lower left (NW) corner, and vanity along the right hand (S) wall. There is a window in the exterior (E) wall, on the right hand side, and a door leading to the hall on the opposite (W) wall, also on the right hand side of the room. The room is 8'6" square, and about 3' into the room from the door, the ceiling starts to slope to the exterior knee-wall, which is just under 5' high. These are the major elements that define the room.
Here is the first drawing:
Option B with the original arrangement I was still holding onto, showing a clawfoot tub on the west wall and indecision about the toilet placement.